Gambling premises

The Council is responsible for issuing premises licences for:

  • Bingo Halls;
  • Betting Shops;
  • Adult gaming centres;
  • Family entertainment centres;
  • Casinos;
  • Tracks.

The Council also issues the permits and maintains the following types of registrations:

  • Club Gaming Permits;
  • Club Machine Permits;
  • Licensed (Alcohol) Premises Gaming Machine Permits;
  • Family Entertainment Centre Gaming Machine Permits;
  • Prize Gaming Permits;
  • Small Society Lotteries Registrations.

The Gambling Commission is responsible for regulating commercial gambling which includes the online gaming/gambling industry.

There are various ‘responsible authorities’ under the Gambling Act 2005 which must be notified and consulted with for certain types of licence application. In addition the Council is required to publish a statement of licensing policy and review it at least every three years.  The policy details the principles the Council will apply when exercising its licensing functions.  The current licensing policy covers the period 2016-2019 and can be viewed here.

Further information on gambling premises can be found on the Gambling Commission and Department for Culture, Media and Sport websites.  

Further information on gambling matters can be found at the links below.