A scaffold permit is required to erect scaffolding on the Highway under the provisions of Section 169 of the Highways Act 1980.

Please see details below on how to apply for a scaffold permit.

Who can apply?

To apply for a scaffold permit within Broxbourne Borough Council you must provide proof of your Public Liability Insurance, which must be a minimum of £10 million.

Conditions of the permit

Permission is subject to conditions which may relate to: the location of the scaffold; available space on the footway; and pedestrian access. Additional conditions may also apply to individual applications, please contact the Council on 01992 785564

How do I apply?

Application forms are available in the following formats:

  • Download a scaffold application form using the link to the right of the page
  • Pre - printed application forms are also available by e-mail or post.

Application forms must be completed in full and returned to Field Force, Broxbourne Council, Bishops' College, Churchgate, Cheshunt, Herts, EN8 9XB.

or e-mail the application form to

Please ensure the payment is enclosed with the application if sending by post

How much will it cost?

Please contact the Field Force team on 01992 785564 for current prices.

How long does the permit last and what is the renewal process?

Scaffold permits are valid for 14 days. If you wish to extend the permit after the initial 14 day period you must apply for an extension by contacting the Field force on 01992 785564.

What methods of payment are available to me?

By cheque, made payable to Broxbourne Borough Council

For card payments contact tel: 01992 785564. Note a 2% surcharge is added to all credit card payments.

How long will it take to process the application?

Applications are typically processed within three working days.

All applications are individually inspected, to check the suitability of the proposed location. Applicants must wait for approval before erecting a scaffold on the highway. Once a scaffold permit is approved, the department will contact the applicant to inform them of the outcome, and if any additional conditions apply.

Does tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact the Field Force team on 01992 785564.

If I’m turned down, how do I appeal?

If you disagree with the Council's decision you can appeal through the magistrates' court.

Applicants are reminded that they must not erect a scaffold on the Highway if it has been refused by the Authority.

If you have any queries about any decisions, please contact the Field Force Supervisor on 01992 785564.

How do I inform you about changes of circumstances?

Please contact the Field Force team on 01992 785564 to inform us of any changes.