Tell us what you think about our site...
| Welcome to the Borough of Broxbourne | What is New | Website Map | Search | Help menu | Complaint procedure | Privacy statement | Online feedback | List Access Keys |
Borough of Broxbourne logo Borough of Broxbourne banner
Making a Building Control Application

Site consultation with fire officerThere are two types of Building Control application which can be submitted to gain Building Regulation approval. These are Full Plans applications and Building Notice applications. They both have advantages and disadvantages, however, whichever application process you choose to make, once it is fully validated,  you can begin on site within 48 hours even if a Full Plans application has not been approved. Applications expire after three years.


Certain projects can only be submitted as a Full Plans Application. These are:

  • Any premises designated under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005
  • Erection or extension of a building which fronts a private street
  • The erection or extension of a building that is within 3m of a public sewer


Thames Water is responsible for maintaining public sewers, which are sometimes located within the boundaries of properties.  You must get Thames Water’s agreement before carrying out any building work over or within 3m of a public sewer to ensure that no damage is caused to it or restrictions made to the way we use and maintain the sewer.


If building work has been carried out after 11 November 1985 without an application being made, under certain circumstances a Regularisation Certificate

New developments in Broxbourne

may be applied for.


Your building works may also require 

planning permission.  If in doubt, please contact the Council's development control service on 01992 785510 or email