This section provides information on who to contact to register a birth, a death or give notice of your intention to marry. You can also find details of the cemeteries in the Borough of Broxbourne and the churchyards and war memorials in the area.
The Hertfordshire Registration service operates across the County and has a register office in Cheshunt:
Telephone number : 0300 123 4045
Registering a birth
Your baby's birth must be registered within 42 days of the date of the birth and should be done in the district in which the birth took place.
Further information on how to register a birth can be found online via the Hertfordshire County Council website.
Registering a death
Unless the coroner is involved, a death should be registered to the Registrar within five days. Circumstances where a death may be reported to a coroner include:
- When no doctor has treated the deceased during his or her last illness or not attended upon the deceased in the last 14 days before death
- When the death occurred during an operation, or before full recovery from anaesthetic
- When a patient has died within 24 hours of being admitted to hospital (by local Coroner’s request),
- When the death was possibly due to an industrial disease
- When the death was caused by violence or any other unnatural cause for example a road traffic accident or another type of accident
- When the death occurred in prison or in police custody
- When a doctor is unable to give a proper certificate of a cause of death
- When the circumstances of the death are suspicious
Whenever a death has been reported to the Coroner, the Registrar must wait for the Coroner to finish his or her enquiries before the death can be registered.
Further information on how to register a death can be found on the Hertfordshire County Council website.
Getting married in a Civil Ceremony?
Information on what to do when you decide to get married and how to book an appointment at one of the County's register offices can be found on the Hertfordshire County Council website.
Broxbourne Council has a number of wedding venues across the Borough that can be hired out for your special day.