Making a claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Broxbourne Borough Council provides two schemes to help people on a low income pay their rent and Council Tax.

  • Housing Benefit helps people pay their rent
  • Council Tax Support is a discount that helps people pay their council tax

These can be paid at the same time to someone who is liable to pay rent and council tax. The amount of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support you get will depends on your circumstances and how much rent and Council Tax you have to pay.

If you are making a new claim for help with your rent, are of working age and not living in supported accommodation, or have more than two children living in your household, you will need to claim Universal Credit. To do so, contact the Department for Work and Pensions on 0345 600 4272. You can also find out how much you may be entitled to by visiting

Please note that to claim Council Tax Support, you will still need to apply to Broxbourne Council.

Look at our frequently asked questions page for further information on Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

Benefits Calculator

Use the online calculator to check whether you qualify for housing and / or council  tax support.

How to make an application

Residents living in the Borough who need help paying rent and/or council tax support can make an application for benefit in several ways.

The online benefit claim form is the easiest and quickest way to claim Housing and/or Council Tax Benefit. The secure online facility will allow you to save a partially completed form to finish later, as well as providing handy tips and hints to make completing the form easier.

Paper application forms are available from the main Council Offices and One Stop Shops or you can download a benefit claim form

Alternatively, you can email  or telephone 01992 785503. 

If you require assistance completing the form you can visit the benefits reception at the main Council offices or one of the Council's One Stop Shops. Please complete as much of the form as you can before you arrive.