Council tax is calculated by assuming that at least two adults are living in the property. However, we do not count some people when we work out how many adults live in the property. This may allow you to receive a discount even if you do not live alone.

These are:

  • Full time students*, student nurses, apprentices and youth training trainees
  • 18 and 19 year olds who are at, or who have just left, school or college
  • Patients in hospital
  • People being looked after in care homes
  • People staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • Care workers working for low pay, usually for charities
  • People who care for someone with a disability who is not their husband or wife, partner, civil partner,or a child under 18
  • Members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
  • Foreign diplomats
  • Members of religious communities (monks and nuns)
  • People in detention
  • People who are severely mentally impaired

*Students will need to obtain a council tax student certificate from their place of study.

You can apply for some discounts online below.  Some discounts however require a signature from a third party such as a doctor, hospital or college so you will need to download a form from the 'Documents' section to the right of this page and return it either by email or post.

For the purpose of council tax liability, exemptions and discounts, a 'resident' means a person aged 18 or over who has their sole or main residence in the dwelling concerned.

Therefore persons under 18 and persons in any of the discount disregard categories, are not taken into account when deciding whether the full tax is payable.

For further information or to make an application for any of the discounts mentioned above please contact the council tax section on 01992 785504.