What is fly-tipping?

  • Dumping of rubbish in a place where it is not authorised - this can be anything from a sack of household rubbish, a sofa or anything up to large commercial waste deposits
      • Please note neighbourhood recycling ponits are not authorised to take household waste they can only accept your excess recyclable materials so please do not leave your rubbish at this site or you risk being fined. In addition please do not leave you rubbish outside the gates of the household waste sites if they are closed. Please look at the Council web sites for opening times.

      What should I do if I see someone dumping their waste?

      • Call the Council on 01992 785577. If it is a large dumping of waste and you are witnessing the event please contact the police immediately on 999.
      • Provide as many details as possible of when it happened and where it was dumped. It would helpful if you take the registration number of the vehicle and a description of the individuals to assist with further investigations.

      I have waste to get rid of, where should i take it?

      You can take your waste to the household wastes sites in the Brookfield Centre, Cheshunt or Pindar Road, Hoddesodon.

      If you have bulky rubbish to dispose of, telephone the Helpline on 01992 785577 and get it disposed of by the Council. If you use other people to take your waste away check that the contractor being used is a properly licensed waste carrier, or  you may be liable for a fine of up to £5,000 if your waste is later fly-tipped. A Leaflet is available to provide further information. Please see the link to the right of the page.

      You should be aware that dumping of waste is illegal and is a criminal offence. The Council takes all cases of fly-tipping seriously and will prosecute offenders.

      An initial investigation will be carried out within 3 working days from the date of your report.