Coronavirus (COVID-19) - advice, information and help

Financial support for individuals

The government has announced a range of measures to support individuals who may be facing financial challenges through loss of work. These include an increase to the amount paid by Universal Credit and an uplift to the Local Housing Allowance (LHA).

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) can now be claimed from the first day of sickness or self-isolation. To check whether you are eligible to claim SSP you should talk to your employer or visit for more information.

If you are not eligible for SSP (for example, you are self-employed, and have coronavirus (COVID-19) or you need to self-isolate) you can make a claim for Universal Credit (UC) or the new-style Employment and Support Allowance.

Universal Credit is paid and administered by the Department for Work and Pensions. You can find advice on how to claim for the first time and details regarding the Local Housing Allowance at

The Government announced the Household Support Grant to support families with essential needs during the winter of 2021/22. This includes the cost of food and energy. This funding is being administered by Hertfordshire County Council and details can be found at:

How the Council can help?

If you need help to pay your Council Tax you can apply for Council Tax support.

Apply for Council Tax support 

If you have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace you can apply for financial support.

Apply for a Test and Trace support payment

The Council will continue to support you through these difficult times and benefits claims will continue to be paid. Council Tax support requests will be processed as quickly as possible.

Financial inclusion and debt advice

Find out how you can access financial and debt advice services here.


Last updated: 30 November 2020.