Rivers and streams are the responsibility of the Environment Agency. Matters relating to flooding and blockages can be reported on 0800 80 70 60.  

The Environment Agency also provides a 24-hour advice and information helpline for floods and flood warnings which can be reached on 0345 988 1188.

You can sign up for flood warnings via www.gov.uk/sign-up-for-flood-warnings

Hertfordshire County Council is the lead flood authority for Hertfordshire and is responsible for carrying out Section 19 investigations following a flood.  A Section 19 investigation is a public statement about the circumstances of a flood event.

What to do if your home is flooded

If your home is flooded you should contact your landlord (if you have one) and insurance company.

If your home is flooded by sewage you must evacuate that area, move upstairs or leave your home, and notify your water company.

If your home is uninhabitable, your landlord (if you have one) or insurance company can help you find somewhere else to stay.

The Council may be able to help you if you have nowhere else to stay and need emergency housing out of normal working hours. You can contact the Council's Out of Hours Service on 01992 785555 which is available 5.30pm - 9am Monday - Friday and every weekend and bank holiday.

You can report a build-up of silt and mud left on a road or pavement following a flood to the Council via the report it service.

If you have an unresolved problem with your sewerage service, then you may be able to make a complaint via the Consumer Council for Water (CCW). Visit www.ccwater.org.uk/make-a-complaint/ for more information.