I would like to register a HMO

What you can do

You can apply for a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licence by completing the forms below.

Please complete these forms in the correct order. This will allow you to progress on to the next stage of the application process.

If you have more than one HMO you will need to a separate licence for each property.

It is a legal requirement for a HMO to be licensed. Failure to do so can result in civil penalty notices of up to £30,000 per offence.

To apply for a HMO licence, you will need:

  • proof of your identification and address
  • an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
  • a Portable Appliance Test (PAT)
  • a Design Installation and Commissioning Certificate (new alarm system) or
  • a Fire Detection and Alarm System Inspection and Servicing Report (existing alarm system)
  • a Gas Safety Record provided by a Gas Safe engineer (if applicable)
  • an Emergency Lighting Completion Certificate (new lighting system) or
  • an Emergency Lighting Inspection Periodic and Testing Certificate (existing lighting system)
  • an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)
  • a copy of the tenancy agreement (if vacant, one you intend to use)
  • the planning consent document
  • a building regulation completion certificate for any conversions

You will also need the layout plans for each storey of the property. This should include:

  • the locations and dimensions of all rooms, including communal rooms, in square meters
  • number, location and type of smoke and heat detectors and emergency lighting
  • alarm control panel
  • fire doors and escape windows
  • fire equipment, like fire extinguishers and blankets
  • location and number of electrical sockets, wash hand basins, showers, baths, toilets, kitchen sinks and worktops, cookers, fridges
  • locations of stairs and windows
  • types of locks on bedroom doors, front and back doors

Register a HMO part one

Register a HMO part two

Register a HMO part three