Energy Council Tax Rebate

Council Tax rebate

The Government has announced a £150 Energy Rebate Scheme to help households whose properties are in council tax bands A to D, with the cost of their energy bill.

The rebate will be paid to the liable council taxpayer who occupied a property as at 1 April 2022. It is not available to owners of second homes, empty properties, or houses in multiple occupation. Council taxpayers of some exempt properties are also entitled to the rebate. Full details are available at

Eligibility criteria

  • Your property is in council tax band A-D
  • It is your sole or main residence.
  • It is a chargeable property, or in the following exempt classes:
    • Properties occupied only by full-time students
    • Properties occupied only by a person or persons aged under 18
    • Properties occupied only by a person(s) who is (are) severely mentally impaired
    • Occupied annexe to an occupied dwelling
  • In a Band E and you qualify for the disabled band reduction

A property that meets all the criteria but has a nil council tax liability as a result of local council tax support, is eligible.

Ineligible Properties

  • A property that has no permanent resident and is someone’s second home.
  • An unoccupied property.
  • You are registered for council tax as the landlord of a house of multiple occupation (HMO)
  • Only one £150 payment will be made per household, regardless of the number of occupants or liable council taxpayers and the grant can only be paid to a liable council taxpayer.

Where a live Direct Debit instruction is held for a liable council taxpayer of an eligible household, automatic payments are currently being processed.  Liable council taxpayers who do not pay by Direct Debit will need to register and apply online. Letters are being sent to all individuals who have been identified as the liable person.    

Non Direct Debit payer application

If you have any queries, please email

More information

The Government’s guidance on the Council Tax Rebate and the Discretionary Fund can be viewed on GOV.UK.

To check or challenge your council tax band -

Visit Government support for energy bills and the cost of living for more information.