You have been asked to leave by your partner or spouse

What the Council can do

You can ask the Council for assistance if you cannot sort out your situation yourself. The first thing the Council will do is try to help you stay in your current home. You should be ready to give as many details as possible, including:

  • contact details for your partner or spouse
  • any tenancy agreements or mortgage documents you have
  • any advice form the police not to return to your property
  • identification (ID) for you and anybody else who is part of your situation - including one ID with a photograph and one with proof of your address
  • your financial information - for example, bank statements and benefit letters
  • a crime reference number

The Council may:

  • speak to your partner or spouse
  • confirm ownership or contractual rights for your current home
  • help you find out your rights to remain in your current home
  • help you identify any other places where you have a right to live
  • put you in touch with other organisations that could help you