Private sector housing

Apply for an HMO licence

You should apply for a multiple occupancy (HMO) licence at least eight weeks before your property will be occupied.​

You can apply for a house in multiple occupancy (HMO) licence by completing the three forms at the bottom of this page. All three forms need to be completed in order. This will allow you to progress to the next stage of the application process. If you have more than one HMO you will need to apply for a separate licence for each property.


The fee for a new house in multiple occupancy (HMO) licence is shown here in the Fees and Charges file (PDF).

The licence will be valid for five years. Licences may be granted for shorter periods only in special circumstances as agreed with the Council.


To apply for an HMO licence you will need:

  • proof of your identification and address
  • an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property
  • a Portable Appliance Test (PAT) for the property
  • a Design Installation and Commissioning Certificate (new alarm system) or a Fire Detection and Alarm System Inspection and Servicing Report (existing alarm system) for the property
  • a Gas Safety Record provided by a Gas Safe engineer (if applicable) for the property
  • an Emergency Lighting Completion Certificate (new lighting system) or an Emergency Lighting Inspection Periodic and Testing Certificate (existing lighting system) for the property
  • an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) for the property
  • a copy of the tenancy agreement (if vacant, one you intend to use)
  • the planning consent document
  • a building regulation completion certificate for any conversions

You will also need the layout plans for each storey of the property. This should include:

  • the locations and dimensions of all rooms, including communal rooms, in square meters
  • number, location and type of smoke and heat detectors and emergency lighting
  • alarm control panel
  • fire doors and escape windows
  • location of fire equipment, such as fire extinguishers and blankets
  • location and number of electrical sockets, wash hand basins, showers, baths, toilets, kitchen sinks and worktops, cookers, fridges
  • locations of stairs and windows
  • types of locks on bedroom doors, front and back doors

If you are registered with the Council's MyAccount you can save, complete and track the forms in your own time. You can login or register with MyAccount here.

Apply for an HMO licence - Part One

Apply for an HMO licence - Part Two

Apply for an HMO licence - Part Three