Renew an HMO licence
You should renew your multiple occupancy (HMO) licence at least eight weeks before your current licence expires.
You can renew an HMO licence by completing the three forms at the bottom of this page. You will need to complete them in order. This will allow you to progress to the next stage of the renewal process. If you have more than one HMO you will need to renew your licence for each property.
The licence will be valid for five years. Licences may be granted for shorter periods only in special circumstances as agreed with the Council.
To renew an HMO licence you will need:
- proof of your identification and address
- an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
- a Portable Appliance Test (PAT)
- a Design Installation and Commissioning Certificate (new alarm system) or
- a Fire Detection and Alarm System Inspection and Servicing Report (existing alarm system)
- a Gas Safety Record provided by a Gas Safe engineer (if applicable)
- an Emergency Lighting Completion Certificate (new lighting system) or
- an Emergency Lighting Inspection Periodic and Testing Certificate (existing lighting system)
- an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)
- a copy of the tenancy agreement (if vacant, one you intend to use)
- the planning consent document
- a building regulation completion certificate for any conversions
You will also need the layout plans for each storey of the property. This should include:
- the locations and dimensions of all rooms, including communal rooms, in square meters
- number, location and type of smoke and heat detectors and emergency lighting
- location of the alarm control panel
- location of fire doors and escape windows
- location of fire equipment, like fire extinguishers and blankets
- location and number of electrical sockets, wash hand basins, showers, baths, toilets, kitchen sinks and worktops, cookers, fridges
- locations of stairs and windows
- types of locks on bedroom doors, front and back doors
If you are registered with the Council's MyAccount you can save, complete and track the forms in your own time. You can login or register with MyAccount here.