Information and guidance

Changes to Permitted Development Rights

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Amendment) (England) Order 2015 introduced some temporary relaxations and new procedures for:

  • householder extensions
  • schools
  • changes of use
  • extensions to commercial premises

You can notify the Council of your intention to build a single-storey rear extension of:

  • greater than four metres up to eight metres for a detached house
  • greater than three metres up to six metres for other types of houses

View notification of a proposed larger home extension (PDF)

View guidance notes (PDF)

You can read more about permitted development rights on the planning portal.