If you are struggling to make ends meet financially, it's important to get help as early as possible, so if you need advice on financial matters, contact the Council's benefits service or your local Citizens Advice Bureau. General advice on money matters, particularly benefits, can be found on the UK government website.
The Council's benefits service administers and gives advice about housing and council tax benefit from the Borough offices and at all of the Council's three One Stop Shops (The Laura Trott Leisure Centre in Cheshunt, Hoddesdon Library and Waltham Cross High Street). Application forms and information leaflets are available at these locations. If you are vulnerable or housebound, you can arrange for a member of staff to visit and help you with the application.
HertSavers Credit Union
HertSavers Credit Union is owned and controlled by its members and provides:
- A safe and convenient way to save
- Easy-to-access loans at fair rates of interest
- A range of other financial services
- An ethical alternative to the big banks
Credit unions are regulated by the government. HertSavers Credit Union is also being supported by Broxbourne Borough Council and a range of other local agencies to ensure it can serve local people.
How could joining HertSavers benefit you?
- Good rates of return on your savings with an annual dividend
- Low interest rates if you take out a loan
- Free life insurance on your savings and loans
- No regular bank charges or fees
- A friendly, professional and local service.
The Pension Service is part of the Department of Work and Pensions and it helps with State Pension eligibility, claims and payments.
For more pensions advice, visit https://www.gov.uk/contact-pension-service