Retirement housing and care homes

Housing options in Broxbourne for older people

There is a variety of different types of housing in Broxbourne available for older people.  Age UK Hertfordshire offers an information and advice service on a range of issues for older people including housing options.  Call 0845 601 3446, email or visit the Age UK Hertfordshire website.

Housing association homes - existing tenants

If you are already a housing association tenant of a home in Broxbourne and your landlord has signed up to the Council's housing register, you can register for a move by applying for a transfer.  You must have been the tenant of your home for at least one year.  To register on the housing register, please click here.  Housing register applications should now be completed online.  You can also exchange your home with another tenant who is in a suitable property.  You will need your landlord's permission for an exchange.  Details of tenants wishing to move can be found by registering on the Homeswapper website.

Housing Register

Details of how to register on the Council's Housing Register can be found here.  You will normally have to be living in Broxbourne and have lived here for five years in order to be able to register.  Home owners are not eligible.  There are some exceptions, including long term residents of the Borough who are pensioners and who recently left the Borough and wish to return.

Frail elderly people who are not Borough residents, but who have close relatives who live in Broxbourne may be able to register if they need to move to sheltered housing to receive support from those relatives.  However, local residents will continue to have priority for sheltered housing.

Sheltered housing

This is usually within a purpose built group of flats designed to cater for older people.  You will have your own self-contained home but there are also extra social and domestic facilities such as communal lounges and laundry facilities.  B3Living has nine independent housing schemes in Broxbourne, which are let to people on the Council's housing register.  Independent Living officers provide regular contact with residents of the schemes.  Each home is linked to an alarm service to offer support outside office hours.  Assistance with cleaning, shopping or personal care is not part of the service but may be available via home care.  For more information, call B3Living on 01992 453700 or visit the B3Living website

There are several other housing associations with sheltered schemes in Broxbourne who maintain their own waiting lists:

Anchor Trust - The Grange, Hoddesdon and Queen Elizabeth Court, Wormley - contact telephone 0845 140 2020 or visit the Anchor Trust website

Hanover Housing Association - Jersey Close, Hoddesdon - contact telephone 01480 475069 or visit the Hanover Housing Association website

Beaumont Charity - an almshouse charity offering housing for residents of Cheshunt who are over the age of 60 and in need both financially and physically.  For more information contact Mr Barry Ambrose, telephone 01992 442196 or email

Sheltered housing for sale

There are various sheltered schemes for owner-occupiers in Broxbourne.  Properties for sale are generally advertised on property sites on the internet and through local estate agents.  These are generally managed by housing associations or private companies.

Flexicare housing

This is similar to sheltered housing but with additional support.  It combines the advantages of high-quality self-contained accommodation and the provision of flexible care services based at the scheme.  B3Living has two flexicare schemes with homes to rent in the Borough.  Applicants are assessed jointly by B3Living and the County Council's health and community services to ensure that the housing can meet the applicant's needs.  Applicants must be on the housing register before any assessment can take place.  For more information contact one of the schemes or visit the B3Living website.

Emmanuel Lodge - telephone 01992 620135

Wormley Court - telephone 01992 468815

Private rented housing

There is a variety of homes to rent from private landlords in Broxbourne.  These are advertised on the internet, in local newspapers and through local letting agents.  Most private rented housing is let on assured shorthold tenancies.  The landlord usually has the right to end the tenancy after six months or a year.

Care homes

Residential care homes provide personal care and social support for people who are not able to manage living in their own homes.  They are usually staffed 24 hours a day and all meals are provided.  All care homes are inspected or reviewed once a year by the Care Quality Commission. 

Hertfordshire County Council's health and community services department assist with finding a person the right home, following an assessment of their needs.  For more information call 0300 123 4040, minicom 01438 737599, email or visit Hertfordshire County Council's website.