Single Person Discount

You may be entitled to a 25% discount off your council tax bill if you are the only person (aged 18 or over) living in a property.

In order to claim Single Person Discount you need to complete a form which can be done online below.

Alternatively you can:

Once we receive your completed form we may ask for proof that you are the sole occupant. If someone has recently moved out we may ask for their new address. Once we are satisfied that you qualify for the discount we will send you a revised bill.

If someone else over the age of 18 moves into the property, or a member of your household reaches the age of 18 you must notify us straight away as this may affect your discount.

Under the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992,  you must tell the Council if you are no longer entitled to claim this discount.  You must do this, in writing, within 21 days, if your circumstances change.  If you knowingly claim a discount, to which you are not entitled,  this may lead to a criminal prosecution being taken against you or a penalty being imposed. 

It is an offence under the Fraud Act 2006 to provide information to the Council, which affects your council tax liability, if you know that information is incorrect or false.  You may also be committing an offence, under the Fraud Act 2006, if you fail to inform the Council if your circumstances change.