Highways, pavements and street lights

Damage to road surfaces (Potholes)

Roads and pavements are the responsibility of Hertfordshire County Council. Faults to road or pavement surfaces such as potholes can be reported via the County Council's website or by telephoning 0300 123 4047. This number can also be used if you have any concerns over on-going roadworks in the area.

Reporting faults with Street lighting

Please contact Hertfordshire County Council on 0300 123 4047 or use the online Highway Fault Reporting Service to report street lighting issues:

  • Lit bollards
  • Street lights
  • Subway lights
  • Traffic signals

Road closures

Information on how to apply for a temporary road closure for roadworks, street parties, parades and demonstrations can be found on the County Council's website.  To find out more visit the Street Party page on the County's website.

Winter road gritting

The roads in Hertfordshire are gritted by Hertfordshire County Council. Gritting routes can be found on the County Council's website. Broxbourne Borough Council owned car parks and property is gritted by us and salt is available to purchase where stocks allow.

Road Adoption

"Road adoption" is the term used to describe the local authority (Hertfordshire Council Council) taking over the maintenance responsibility of a private road. This maintenance is then funded at public expense.  The road may still remain within the ownership of the body who offered it for adoption and if the road is 'stopped up', the maintenance will revert to the original owner.
All roads and footpaths must be constructed in accordance with the Highway Authority's requirements for example:
  • Street lighting
  • Road and footway construction
  • Tree and shrub planting
  • Drainage
  • Road markings 
If a road remains private then all maintenance and road cleansing is the responsibility all the property owners / occupiers of that road, even though it could be a public right of way to which highway and traffic law can be applied.
Normally road adoption is carried out by an agreement between the developer and the Council under Section 38 of the Highways Act 1980.