Self-build and Custom Housebuilding

In a self-build project an individual or group organises the design and construction or their home or homes. The options include:
  • Self-build one-off home – an individual manages the design and construction process and undertakes all or part of the building work;
  • Contractor built one-off home – an individual manages the design process and selects a contractor to carry out construction;
  • Kit home – an individual selects a preferred kit home, and may have to arrange construction of foundations. The kit home company then erects the house;
  • Independent Community Collaboration – individuals work as a group to acquire a site to split up into plots, then organise the design and construction of their own homes;
  • Supported community self-build group – a social landlord or a community self-build agency helps a group of individuals build their homes.
Custom building involves an individual or group working with a specialist developer to deliver their home or homes. The individual or group may decide to finish houses off themselves to save on money.
The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Register
The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 requires the Council to keep a register of people who want to buy a serviced plot of land in the Borough of Broxbourne to build a home. The main purpose of the register is to indicate the demand for this type of housing development within the Borough for the emerging Local Plan. Applicants who join the register can also benefit by receiving details of available plots from landowners and developers, if they wish.
To join the register, Government regulations determine that applicants must be:
  • Aged 18 and over, and
  • A British citizen, a citizen of an EU country or of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, and
  • Seeking, either alone or with others, to acquire a serviced plot of land in the Borough of Broxbourne to build a home
In line with Government regulations, the Council is allowed to ask for further information to identify how much local demand there is for self-build plots. Applicants who can show evidence of a local connection with Broxbourne will benefit from first information about landowners and developers offering sites. Applicants who want to take advantage of this option will be asked to provide evidence that they:
  • Have lived in the Borough for three out of the last five years; OR 
  • Have a permanent job in the borough; OR 
  • Have a close relative (parent, sister, brother or child) who currently resides in the Borough, and has lived here for three out of the last five years, or if very young, since birth; OR 
  • Are currently serving with the armed forces or have left the service within the last five years.
Applying to join the Register
If you would like to register your interest for a custom or self-build plot, please complete the Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Register application form and email it to, or post it to: Planning Policy, Borough of Broxbourne, Bishops’ College, Churchgate, Cheshunt EN8 9XB. 
If you wish to claim a local connection, you will also need to provide copies of documents as evidence. Here are some examples; it is not a complete list:
Living in BroxbourneCurrent or former council tax bills, utility bills, lease agreement
Permanent job in BroxbourneContract of employment, letter from employer on headed paper, wage slip giving address of employer
Close relative lives in BroxbourneName of close relative and nature of relationship to the applicant must be provided. Evidence (see Living in Broxbourne) that this individual lives in the Borough. For a child, this could be a GP letter, letter from the school or child benefit record.
Service with armed forcesMilitary ID card, military discharge record including date of leaving services.


Do not send originals; the Council will not be held responsible for returning original documents to you.

If an association applies to enter the Register, an officer or member must be appointed to act as lead contact for the purposes of correspondence between the Council and the association.
What happens next?
The Council has 28 days to determine an application for entry onto the Register. You will be informed in writing if your application has been successful or not, and if any claim to have a local connection has been accepted. If you are ineligible to join the Register, the letter or email will say why. 
When a self-build plot becomes available within the Borough the Council will notify everyone on the self-build register, but will give people who have a local connection the information first. After receiving the notification, people on the self-build register will be able to submit a bid to the developer or landowner. 
If you have any queries or need help or advice in completing the registration form, please contact the
Further information