I would like to report a health and safety issue

What the Council can do

It is the Council’s responsibility to ensure the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, and its associated regulations, are known and followed by local employers and their employees.

The Council will investigate complaints against:

  • offices
  • religious organisations
  • retail shops (hairdressers, builders, warehousing and storage, supermarkets, restaurants)
  • leisure (cinema, theatres, art galleries, museums, clubs, gyms, and swimming pools)
  • hospitality and care (hotels, sheltered accommodation, fostering and adoption agencies, residential care homes)

Any other businesses or organisations will be referred to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). They also deal with:

  • deaths
  • major injuries
  • accidents resulting in a staff member having seven days off work
  • disease outbreaks
  • dangerous incidents
  • injuries to customers or members of the public, resulting in an ambulance drive to hospital