Pay your Council tax (including direct debit)

What you can do

There are several options available to you when paying your council tax bill.
However, the Council encourages you to set up a Direct Debit to ensure your payments are on time.
If you are unable to pay your council tax, you should tell the Council immediately. Failure to pay your council tax could result in penalties and a court summons.
If you are struggling to pay your council tax, you can apply for council tax support.


You can pay your council tax online by completing the form below. The following cards are accepted:

  • MasterCard
  • Maestro
  • Visa
  • Visa Electron

The Council does not accept American Express or Diners cards.

Pay your Council tax online


You can pay your council tax bill by calling the Council’s 24 hour payment line 0808 108 0016.
This is an automated telephone service for debit and credit cards, using the telephone keypad.
You will be asked to enter:

  • your account number (right-hand side of your council tax bill)
  • the amount to be paid
  • your card details

Calls from a landline will be charged at the local rate. Calls from a mobile will be at the usual rate of your service provider.
Please have a pen and paper to take a note of your receipt number.


You can pay your council tax through your bank by:

  • standing order
  • bank automated credit system (BACS)
  • phone
  • online transaction

Please ensure you reference your council tax account number on all transactions. This can be found on the right side of your council tax bill, near the top of the page.
The Council’s back details are as follows:
Bank Name  Lloyds Bank PLC
Sort Code  30-99-86
Account Number 78412168
Account Name  Broxbourne Borough Council


PayPoint and Payment Cards

You can pay your council tax by using a Payment Card at the Post Office or at any PayPoint outlet.
Outlets can be found at:

  • newsagents
  • convenience stores
  • petrol stations
  • off-licenses

Please phone the Council's helpline on 01992 785577 to request a payment card.
The cards contain your council tax reference number and name to ensure your payments are correctly allocated to your account.
You will need a new card if you have:

  • moved in to the Borough
  • changed the registered taxpayer