What you can do
The Council may be able to assist you if you are leaving hospital and when you leave you think you will be homeless. Before contacting the Council tell the hospital about your situation. The hospital will then contact the Council.
If you have a social worker you can ask them about:
- applying for additional benefits or claiming benefits for the first time
- help with costs if your home needs to be altered because of your medical condition
- sheltered housing, extra care housing and assisted living
If you are a tenant who is renting from a housing association and have a social tenancy, and your medical condition will make it difficult to continue living there, you can apply to move to a different social rented home.
Other information that may help includes:
- the online benefits calculator to help you find out what benefits you may be able to claim
- the Council's housing forms and leaflets
- advice from Shelter, Citizens Advice and National Homelessness Advice Services (NHAS)
- registering with Homefinder UK
After you have done this and you still need more help and support you can ask the Council for assistance.