You do not feel safe in your home because of domestic abuse

What you can do

If you, or someone you know, is a victim of domestic abuse you should report it immediately. The Hertfordshire domestic violence service is called Safer Places and the National Domestic Violence Helpline is free to call on 0808 2000 247.

Call 999 if it is an emergency or you are in immediate danger.

You can ask for protection in order to live safely in your home by applying for a court injunction. This can be:

  • a non-molestation order - the person being violent or abusive is ordered by the court to stop
  • an occupation order - the person being violent or abusive can be ordered to leave the house, not approach the house, allow you in, or be restricted to certain times when they can access the house

Refuges provide temporary housing for victims and children as well as advice and support. The addresses are confidential to ensure your safety.

If your landlord is a housing association or another council, you could apply for an exchange or transfer on the grounds of domestic abuse. You may have to move to a refuge while the move takes place.

Other information that may help includes:

If you need more help and support you can ask the Council for assistance.