Create or change a street name or number

You should apply to the Council if you want to:

  • construct a new road for a residential or commercial development
  • construct any building(s) (residential or commercial) fronting an existing road
  • construct a building or buildings within the curtilage of an existing property
  • convert a dwelling or building into two or more dwellings
  • change a property name or number, or add an alias name (residential or commercial)
  • renumber a new development at the request of the developer

The Council’s Street Naming and Numbering Policy outlines how new street names should be appropriate to the local area, as well as naming conventions. You will need to follow these rules for any street names you wish to suggest.


The following fees apply:

Existing properties Per charge
Change of house name or adding an alias name £105
Change of development layout after notification £85
New and subdivision Per plot (unless otherwise stated)
1 plot £105
2 to 24 plots £75
25 to 49 plots £65
50 to 74 plots £55
75 to 99 plots £45
100+ plots £35
Naming of a block/building excluding houses £260 (per block/building)
Naming of a street £260 (per street)


You can apply to the Council using the online form below. The process usually takes four weeks providing the name or number is not contested.

Apply to create or change a street name or number