Information and guidance

Permission and consent

Some minor alterations and extensions, particularly to houses, can sometimes be carried out without planning permission. Such work is known as Permitted Development. Other work, particularly non-domestic development, is likely to require planning permission or consent.


Some alteration and extensions to a house will require planning permission. For example:

  • a dormer window in the roof of a house facing the road
  • most two-storey extensions
  • erecting outbuildings and structures
  • changes in the use of land or buildings 

The rules may be more restrictive if you live in a conservation area. The interactive house gives advice on whether or not planning permission is required for minor domestic works.

Business premises

Most alterations to business premises require planning permission. For example:

  • all shop and office extensions
  • alterations to shop fronts
  • external security shutters or grilles
  • changes in the use of land or buildings

More information on planning permission for small businesses can be found on the Planning Portal.


You will also need consent from the Council in some other situations. For example:

  • work on a listed building
  • work within a conservation area
  • work on a protected tree, or trees within a conservation area
  • the display of advertisements
  • development restricted by an 'exemptions from Permitted Development Rights' direction (this reduces your Permitted Development Rights)