Council Tax appeals

Appeal your Council Tax banding

If you disagree with your Council Tax banding you have the right to appeal. Appeals must be made to the Valuation Tribunal Service. This is independent of both the Valuation Office Agency and the Council. Hearings are held locally where possible, and will usually last no more than a day.

Normally the decision of the Valuation Tribunal will be final but if any party does not agree with the decision they may appeal to the High Court. If the Tribunal decides in favour of the person appealing, the local Council will issue a new council tax bill and arrange to refund any overpayment.

Appeal forms are available from the Valuation Tribunal Service.