Who is eligible?
To join the Housing Register you must:
- be 16 years old or over, although your application will usually be suspended until you are 18
- live in the Borough and have been a resident here for at least five years *
- not already be a housing association tenant
If you are already a housing association tenant wanting to move to a different housing association property, you should apply to join the Transfer Register and you will need to have lived in your current property for at least one year.
If you are aged 16 or 17 and wish to register, you must have a guarantor, who is aged over 18, who will guarantee the tenancy offered until you are 18.
The guarantor should be your parent, guardian or social worker.
You will not be eligible if:
- you are a homeowner *
- your household has savings or capital exceeding £16,000 *
- your household income is more than £60,000 per year *
- you are not a British citizen, UK resident or subject to immigration control
* Exceptions can be made for those seeking retirement housing or Flexi Care accommodation.
Applications may be put on hold if you:
- owe the Council money
- have lived in a property purchased through a subsidised scheme, like Help to Buy, within the last five years
- refuse three offers considered to be suitable accommodation
- have been found to be intentionally homeless
- have been evicted from a previous Council or housing association property due to:
- anti-social behaviour
- rent arrears
- any breach of your tenancy agreement
Please read the Allocations Policy (PDF) for more information.
You can also find out more about housing association homes in the Borough
To apply for the Housing or Transfer Register, please complete the HomeOption online form.