How many bedrooms do you need?
The Council allows one bedroom for each of the following:
- a couple
- a single adult or young person aged 16 or over
- two children of the same sex aged 10 to 15
- two children of either sex aged under 10
- any other child (under 16)
- a non-resident overnight carer if you or your partner are disabled and need overnight care
For example, a couple with a six-year-old son and a four-year-old daughter need a two-bedroom property (one for the couple and one for the children). The Council does not count rooms such as a living room, kitchen or bathroom.