Local Housing Allowance (LHA)

How will LHA be paid?

In most cases the Council will pay LHA directly to you. The easiest way is to have it paid into a bank or building society account. You can then arrange for your bank or building society to pay your rent directly to your landlord. If you do not have an account you should take steps to open one. Even if you cannot open a current account you should be able to open a basic bank account.

You cannot choose to have your LHA paid directly to your landlord by the Council.

For more information about basic bank accounts visit the Money Advice Service.