Business rates

Registered charity and community amateur sports club rate relief

If you are a registered charity or a community amateur sports club (CASC) you can apply for two types of rate relief:

  • 80% mandatory rate relief
  • 20%+ discretionary rate relief

You can apply for the mandatory rate relief at the bottom of this page. You can find more information about the discretionary rate relief at the Council's community grants scheme page. You can also visit GOV.UK to find more information on:

Organisations receiving rate relief from the Council must provide written confirmation of their circumstances annually.​ An empty property that is held by a charity or CASC and is likely to be next used for charitable purposes or the purposes of the club, will be exempt from unoccupied rates.

Discretionary rate relief

Where an application is approved prior to 30 September, discretionary relief will be granted for the current financial year, and, if appropriate, the previous financial year.​ If you want your application to be considered for the current and previous financial year, you should apply with full supporting information not later than 31 August.​

Where an application is approved by the Council after 30 September, discretionary relief will only be allowed from 1 April in the current financial year, or a later date where appropriate.​

Mandatory relief (80% reduction) qualifying criteria ​

The Council will grant mandatory relief from rates for non-domestic properties occupied by one of the following:​

  • a charity or the trustees of a charity which is included in the register of charities maintained by the charity commissioners, and where the premises are used wholly or mainly for charitable purposes
  • a non-profit organisation which is not a registered charity but is established for charitable purposes only, and provides for the relief of poverty, the advancement of religion, education or other purposes beneficial to the community
  • an organisation which is registered with H.M. Revenues & Customs (HMRC) as a community amateur sports club (CASC)

Charity shops

Use of the property must be wholly or mainly for the sale of goods donated to the charity, and the proceeds of the sale (after deductions for expenses) are applied for the purposes of the charity.​

Friendly societies

If an organisation is a registered friendly society, a copy of a letter from the HMRC stating that the organisation is entitled to exemption from taxes under the provisions of Section 505 of the Income & Corporation Taxes Act 1988, must be provided with the application for rate relief.​


If you don't have a charity or CASC rate relief discount on your bill and you think you are eligible, you can apply using the online form at the bottom of this page. ​You will need to provide:​

  • your contact details
  • your business rates account number
  • details of your organisation's registration
  • details of your property and its occupancy
  • details of CASC membership and fee structures (if CASC application)

Privacy Notice

The information you give on this form is necessary to administer your Business Rates and fulfil the Council's statutory functions. The Borough of Broxbourne Council is committed to protecting your privacy when you use its services. The Council’s Privacy Policy explains how it uses your information and how your privacy is protected.

Apply for registered charity or CASC rate relief