Hardship rate relief
You can apply for hardship rate relief if you are suffering severe hardship and your business is of particular importance to the local community. Each case will be considered on its own merits and the test of 'hardship' need not be confined strictly to financial hardship.
Relief will be granted only for the period for which there is clear evidence of hardship.
GOV.UK provides more details on this type of relief.
If you don't have a hardship rate relief discount on your bill and you think you are eligible, you can apply using the online form at the bottom of this page. You will need to provide:
- your business rates account number
- your ratepayer name
- your type of business
- your property address
- copies of your audited accounts from the past two years - if you are a new business, you will need to provide an estimate of your annual income and expenditure
- details of the factors that have led to your business suffering hardship
- a letter from your bank or accountant confirming the hardship
- any other evidence that could be proof of hardship
- the steps you have taken to improve your situation
- details of how your business benefits the local area, and the service it provides to the community which is not provided elsewhere in the area