What you can do
Please note: because of the COVID-19 pandemic and in line with current government advice, you cannot visit the Council offices at this time. All appointments, discussions and meetings will be by telephone.
You can apply for, or renew, two types of taxi licence:
- hackney carriage
- private hire
To make an application you must make an appointment to speak with a licensing officer using the form at the bottom of this page. You must:
- be aged 21 or older
- have held a full UK or EC driving licence for at least three years
- be able to work legally in the UK
- be medically fit
- give your permission for thorough background checks
A criminal record will not always stop a licence being issued as each case is considered on its own merits. The Council's privacy and convictions policy provides more information on how it deals with any information you provide.
After you have spoken to the licensing officer you will have to:
- provide a completed application form with two recent passport photographs
- sit a local knowledge test
- arrange with the licensing office for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check to be completed to ensure you are ‘fit and proper’ and ‘safe and suitable’ to be a licence holder
- arrange a medical examination
- arrange a driving standards test
- provide a DVLA check code (or authorise the Council to do this on your behalf) for a licence check to be completed
If you do not hold a British passport, you will need to complete a right to work check with the Home Office.